If you have found a crossed-out bin symbol on your kettle then this means that it can contain lead alongside other toxins which, when absorbed into the soil and water due to leakages, could potentially cause contamination. This contamination will pose a serious risk to the overall health of the surrounding natural habitat, wildlife and even human health.
If electrical items such as kettles are simply thrown into a landfill then they will not only be unable to biodegrade but as they get damaged over time, these toxins could leak out into the ground and cause pollution. This can be prevented by choosing to recycle your old electrical items instead, or by purchasing kettles that are “designed for disassembly”.
Designers have thought out ways to make it much easier for small electrical items, such as kettles, to be taken apart. In this way, these items will allow you to remove the faulty components and replace or repair them, ensuring a longer lifespan and saving the environment.